Aesthete. Argonaut. Aristeia. Falcon. Hatter. Kudos. Kairos. Marmalade. Miel. Mir. Muse. Myrmidon. Nephele. Nimue. Sea-gazer. Sweetener. Sphinx. Wonderland. Zephyr.

Thursday 19 April 2012

Why the Hunger Games leaves me Hungry for More



FUNNESS: X X X X O

GRIPPINGNESS: X X X X X

RECOMMENDABILTY: X X X X O

As I sat there reading that fateful book, I was actually, literally frozen to the spot. My hands were trembling ever so slightly, and I’m not sure my heartbeat hadn’t risen a little. It’s that gripping.
I’d wanted to read the Hunger Games ever since people have gone crazy over it, and as it killed the box office. At first, I’d been horrified at the story line of brutal killings in an arena televised to the public, but then, at all the fuss, I thought that there must have been something special about it, right? So I was a little excited when (having entered Blackwells, the excellent one on Broad St.) I was sitting in a seat with my Dad and my little brother with a hot chocolate at my elbow, with The Hunger Games in my hands. I’d heard so much about it that I kind of already knew the story line (e.g., she enters instead of her wee little sister, she wins with a guy called Peeta, blah blah blah) but the experience of reading it for myself is unbeaten. I could finally get stuck in.

REASONS TO READ THE HUNGER GAMES:
1. GRIPS YOU SO HARD YOU STOP BREATHING
And I did. It seemed oh-so real. And it happened so fast. We got from her hunting with Gale in the forest, and suddenly it’s the day before the games. I didn’t get any long heartrending monologues from Katniss, except in good, short snappy bits, and I got the feeling that this feeling, that it wasn’t really happening, 
was exactly what the author wanted. I couldn’t believe she was actually gonna be in the games, myself…

hmm... they look cheeful

2. DOESN'T STOP THERE! IT'LL MAKE YOU CRY
At one point I was actually close to tears! It’s probably a good thing I got my emotions under control (bursting into tears in the middle of the cafĂ© in Blackwell’s isn’t the most comfortable situation in the world (especially when you’ve got the Hunger Games in your hands)). It was the (really really really) well written bit when District 12 stays silent and doesn’t clap… and all simultaneously give Katniss the 3-fingered salute. That bit was – was - - so cool!! I could just picture it in my light-headed, fluttering mind… (But maybe that’s just me. I cry like… well… I cried watching the Lion King. There I said it.) I almost started bawling again when she wreathes poor little Rue in wildflowers and gives her that salute --- (what is it with me and salutes?! I blame the trailer for the Hunger Games. Grrrr).

ARGH!!! ITS THAT SALUTE!!!!!!!!

3. IT'LL GET YOUR BLOOD UP!
Reading about the actual games was physically tiring and pumped me full of adrenaline I didn’t need (except maybe if I wanted to flee from my dad who doesn’t regard the Hunger Games as the most wholesome book in the world), I think this was the part where my muscles started to go numb (I had trouble standing up to leave. I was so tense, you know?!) and I literally couldn’t stop reading. I had to devour every page, savouring every word! I was in the middle of page 313 where Katniss has just found Peeta pretending to be a log and was washing him clean, when my Dad ordered me TO STOP. And stop I did (because Dad was looking at me dangerously…). I had to meekly look through some Greek vocab which danced about my head and which didn’t mean a thing to me. I was still buzzing, buzzing, buzzing…


4. IT'LL BOTHER THE PARENTS!
Dad obviously thinks the Hunger Games is detrimental (must’ve heard of the arena killing, then?) so I doubt I’ll be allowed to finish it off in another Blackwells sitting. Sigh…
But I’m comforting myself with the thought that one day I WILL finish it. And so therefore finish the rest 
of this ‘half’ review.


5. IT SUPPLIES YOU WITH PLENTY OF ANNOYING QUOTES THAT'LL MEAN NOTHING TO OTHERS BUT EVERYTHING TO OTHER HUNGER GAMES FANS!!!
“And may the odds be ever in your favour!” (the annoying Effie Trinket... seen below)

No comments:

Post a Comment